Monday, April 27, 2009

French Onion Soup

My french onion soup is just so delectable! I saute 5 onions in about 3-4 tablespoons of butter and another 3 of olive oil and a pinch of thyme for about 15 minutes. Then I lower the heat and simmer for another hour or so. I then add 2 tablespoons of high quality cognac and cook it off. Then I add about 5 cups of home-made beef stock, bring to a boil and simmer for another 20 minutes. I transfer the soup to an oven-safe pot with a lid (I forget what these are called), grate in about 1/2 lb of comte cheese, then bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. I don't add bread because of the gluten-free thing but it's good either way, I've found. Yumilicious!

If food can cure then this soup must be very effective.

I'm really on the countdown now. Four more days of eating. OK, I'm getting nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment