Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"What Jill Eats" Series

Meals should be enjoyable. It's no use eating the perfect foods while stressing about it. Eat what you enjoy, eat in harmony with your metabolism and eat fresh, high-quality foods as often as possible and you may see an improvement in your health. Lunch is the one meal that I often eat alone and in peace. I love my lunches because I can eat whatever I want and no one is complaining about the food or yelling at me :)

I savor my lunches. I eat slowly, usually sitting in the sun or with a lit candle, listening to my favorite classical music. It is a spiritual experience. It enables me to really experience how delicious and nourishing my food is. And often I feel a rush of "feel-good" hormones as I am eating. Top that off with the fact that my meals are infinitely satisfying to me on so many levels; visually, texturally, nutritionally and taste-wise, and you have a recipe for health!

Breakfast: 1 soft boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon, 2 celery sticks, raw home-made yogurt shake with banana and 2 raw egg yolks

Lunch: Raw ribeye steak marinated in olive oil, lemon and soy sauce, sauteed kale, bell pepper, cucumber and celery salad with olive oil, vinegar and sea salt, mixed with sauerkraut raw garlic/chive chevre, freshly ground flax seeds, nutritional yeast (Lewis Labs) and dulse. 8 oz. of water kefir.

Dinner: Goat curry (recipe below), mushroom, spinach, and tomato salad with olive oil, raw vinegar and sea salt mixed with raw chevre and sauerkraut. Fresh vegetable juice mixed with beet kvass and 1 raw egg yolk.

Jill's Goat Curry Recipe:

1/4 cup butter or ghee
1/2 large onion
1 bulb garlic
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
other chopped veggies (optional) such as celery, carrots, potatoes, string beans, etc
home-made curry powder (see below)
2 lbs. goat stew meat
2-3 cups beef stock (or other stock)
8-12 oz. coconut milk
1 tbsp. arrowroot powder (optional)
Almonds, cashews or peanuts (optional)
Lacto-fermented sauerkraut or other LF vegetable such as carrot, daikon or kohlrabi

Warm ghee. Add onions and stir and saute at low-medium heat until soft. Add curry powder, garlic, tomatoes and other veggies and saute until veggies are slightly soft. Add goat meat and continue to saute and spread curry powder on meat. Brown meat slightly (optional). Add beef stock and coconut milk and cook at very low temperature for 6-8 hours. If thicker consistency is desired add arrowroot powder before serving. To add powder: remove some warm broth and add to arrowroot in a cup or small bowl. Dissolve powder in broth and then add back to curry. Let heat for a few minutes until sauce thickens. Serve with ground almonds or other nuts and the fermented veggies (they go so well with curry, something I learned in Japan). If your curry is too spicy add yogurt (a trick I learned in India).

Home-made Curry Powder:
1 tbsp. cumin seed
1 tbsp. coriander seed
1 tsp. mustard seed
1/2 tsp. clove seeds
1 tsp. fenugreek seed
1 -2 tbsp. turmeric powder (or seeds?)
dash to 1 tsp. chili powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 tsp. cardamon
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
dash of allspice
dash of cinnamon

Grind seeds in a coffee grinder (this is an invaluable kitchen tool and can be bought for about 10$). Mix all ingredients.

If you don't have all of these spices the curry will still come out great, as long as you have at least cumin, turmeric, coriander, chili, salt and pepper. The more spices you can add, the more complex the taste will be. Freshly ground seeds render a tastier curry as well.

I often mix the seed portion of curry powder in larger amounts and store in a jar. When I want to make curry I just grind and then add the other powders.

No comments:

Post a Comment