Thursday, May 5, 2011

Going Raw



It's been ages since I've posted. I probably have no business doing a blog in the first place. But, I just had to post about my latest food adventures!

I did the GAPS diet faithfully for one month in January. Then I began to incorporate those old favorites, popcorn and raw milk, back into my diet. I didn't really see any changes in how I felt. Then, one day in mid-March I suddenly decided that I wanted to focus on eating food raw as much as possible. Since then I have made a number of very exciting discoveries!

First, I quickly realized that I much prefer eating green leafy veggies like kale, collards and mustard greens raw over eating them cooked. I chop the green into pretty tiny pieces and then marinate in olive oil and lemon. When I eat them, I mix them with other common salad veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers. I like to add dulse and raw soft goat cheese to my salad, as well as home-made lacto-fermented veggies like sauerkraut and pickled cucumber. For dressing I liberally add more olive oil and raw vinegar and perhaps some crushed garlic.

At first I stuck to what I know with the raw meat. I ate thinly sliced fresh, raw rib-eye cow steak from grass-fed animals. I usually just added some olive oil and lemon and some of Lewis Labs' nutritional yeast (which is delicious). But I do love variety and color in my meals. I may eat the same sort of thing over and over again but that thing has to be interesting and exciting.

So I gradually started experimenting with different meats. I've done goat, bison, lamb and venison, and all of them are totally delicious. The all taste better raw than cooked, as far as I'm concerned (especially the lamb, goat and venison). I don't do chicken anyway and raw pork does not appeal to me. And of course I have done an interesting mix of fish and seafoods. I always try to marinate the red meat for a few hours in olive oil and lemon. And I only like to eat the meat thinly sliced. Also, it is very important to buy very high-quality tender meat and fresh is always best.

The standard way I eat the red meat is with the olive oil, lemon and nutritional yeast paired with sliced avocado and cherry tomatoes. If I'm in the mood I sprinkle the whole thing with balsamic vinegar. This is actually quite fabulous and I highly recommend everyone try this recipe. I don't think the balsamic is the healthiest thing, it is not raw and it has grape must in it, but it is so good!

Another way that I prepare the meat is; after marinating I add a tahini dressing or I dip each piece in some homemade pesto. I also sometimes make homemade basil mayonnaise and mix that with the meat. But whatever dressing I have on the meat, I always try to have some fresh herbs mixed in. My favorites are dill, cilantro and basil. But one could get very creative with this and have quite an array of tasty sauces and dips to eat with the meat.

Tahini Dressing (1 serving)
1 tbsp. raw tahini
1 tbsp. raw yogurt
1/4 clove garlic mashed
squeeze of fresh lemon or orange
(sea salt is optional and really not necessary, raw food is so full of flavor I use hardly any salt lately)

Mix ingredients and smother meat in the dressing. Simply wonderful! This is especially good with lamb and goat.

Homemade Basil Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. mustard
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves and other herbs (dill is divine)
3/4 cup olive oil (or other healthy vegetable oil)

Add all ingredients to food processor, except the oil. Blend well. Slowly, ever so slowly, add the oil as the machine is running. Stop every so often to check consistency. You want it to be thick and to not separate out in the fridge. Olive oil does have a strong flavor so using another veggie oil may be good. Just make sure it is unrefined and mechanically pressed and of course organic. Sunflower oil and sesame oil may be a good one for this.

I just want to share one last dish I have been greatly enjoying lately. I have been buying fresh, raw octopus, chopping it up into small pieces and marinating it in lemon and olive oil for a few hours. Before eating it I drain the juice and then I mix it with the above homemade mayonnaise. It is a seafood salad!! I do this with other fish as well, like raw shrimp.

So, my most exciting discovery is that I can thoroughly enjoy eating raw meat with a variety of delightful tastes! I love what I'm eating now. The flavor of each food is so pure when not cooked. It feels so good afterward but it is also fun and tasty during. How cool is that?



3 comments:

  1. How scrumptious...serendipity is at work again...I have just been on a quest to explore more ways of consuming raw meats. Thanks for sharing your tips - octopus, eh? I don't know if I'm that brave, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did raw sea scallops today. I made a new sauce: 2 tbsp. raw cream, 1/2 clove smashed garlic, sea salt, 2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar, cilantro and chopped cucumbers. It was very good.

    For me it took a long time to be able to eat all kinds of meats raw. Give yourself time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Wart Remover,Hpv,Weak Erection,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Bp, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete