Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 4 of GAPS Diet: Under The Weather?!

I was surprised to see that I was a bit under the weather today. I haven't been sick in over 2 years, not even a cold. Occasionally I get tired for a day and I notice this often coincides with other people in my family being sick. So, when I say "under the weather" I mean "tired". But it is quite a noticeable notice so I know it's not just from lack of sleep or something. Today I felt like that, groggy and tired. I pretty much carried on with my normal day-to-day stuff and eventually felt normal (after lunch I think).

The reason why I mention this is because I have noticed that these tired episodes only occur when I don't have milk for one reason or another for a few days. I know milk is demonized a lot but of course raw milk from healthy grass-fed cows is a completely different food from the boiled junk they sell in the stores. I haven't had milk, yogurt or cheese for 4 days now and I just wonder if there is some correlation....

Anyway...

Day 4:

Breakfast:
3 scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil, 1 piece of home-made sausage, spinach and bok-choy cooked in beef stock

Lunch:
Ground beef lightly cooked in beef stock with kale and asparagus. Celery, tomatoes and cucumber salad with sauerkraut, nutritional yeast (Lewis Labs), olive oil, raw vinegar and sea salt. Fresh vegetable juice. Raw liver shake (1/2 chicken liver raw, freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon, 6 oz. home-made beet kvass, dash of cinnamon, 1 tsp. raw honey).

Dinner:
Creamed cauliflower fish/clam chowder. Sliced cucumbers with sauerkraut, freshly ground flax seeds, olive oil, raw vinegar and sea salt. 8 oz. water kefir. A few blueberries.

I noticed that eating 3 eggs made me feel much better. Eggs do well for me in the morning. The sausage is necessary as well, but not as much when I eat the eggs. Food was good today! Especially the ground beef soup. And I was proud of myself for coming up with a good idea for the clam chowder. I was a bit concerned because I usually make clam chowder with cream and I am not eating cream right now. So I steamed some cauliflower and then added it to the stock and blended it with the hand-held blender and it turned the soup into a nice white, milky-like texture. It actually tasted fantabulous and the children didn't know it was cauliflower. They gobbled it up! This is a great discovery for replacing dairy (for me that is) in soup. When I'm back on cream I'll do both :). And it thickened up so I didn't miss the arrowroot powder, which I usually use as a healthy thickening agent.

Creamed Cauliflower Fish and Clam Chowder:

1 bulb garlic
4 tbsp. butter
sea salt
1 quart fish stock (home-made)
1/2 quart chicken stock (home-made)
2 dozen Littleneck clams (soaked and cleaned in filtered water)
1 small head of cauliflower
2 fillets of light-colored but firm fish (snapper, tiliapia, halibut, yellowtail, rockfish, cod)

Begin steaming cauliflower. In a separate pot saute garlic in butter and sea salt until garlic is soft. Add both stocks and clams. Cover the pot and bring to a low boil. Cook clams until they open completely. Discard any clams that do not open. Turn down flame to low, remove cooked clams and let cool. Add firm but cooked cauliflower to broth. Use hand-held blender to pulverize cauliflower completely. Add fish and cover pot. Allow fish to cook for just a few minutes. Meanwhile cut up clams into small pieces (or as desired). When fish is done add back clams and voila.....

This is a very quick and easy meal to prepare and it's quite tasty!

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Wart Remover,Hpv,Weak Erection,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Bp, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete