Friday, May 8, 2009

Day 6: Farmers Are Cool

Today I happened to be talking to a very nice farmer who is dedicated to producing the highest quality raw milk by feeding his cows only grass and hay. This is quite a rarity for dairy cows in this area. They say the cows won't produce enough milk on hay in the winter. But he is managing to do it. And it so happens that he has also done the "milk diet". For 28 days. He gave me encouragement and said it did wonders for his health. And he did it without bed-rest, working and he has 8 kids!! I'm way out of his league.

Since the beginning of this thing I have been wrestling with the issue of not having enough energy to get through the day without dizziness and weakness. I also have not regained my weight so I remain at 121 pounds (at 5'7"). But I have to acknowledge the fact that I am trying to be a purist with what I consume while I conveniently ignore the maxim to stay on bed-rest. I think it would be too much to ask of my family for me to go on bed rest for a month so it is out of the question for me right now. And so I have come to the conclusion that raw milk, yogurt and kefir alone are not enough to sustain me any longer. But, I was lucky enough to get the good piece of information from the farmer today that drinking stock is a great supplement for the milk diet. I'm sure purists would disagree but they would also have me on bed rest.

So today I had a nice warm 8 ounce glass of beef bone broth and it made a HUGE difference in how I feel. Normally at this time of the day I am faded and listless, not much help to anyone. I get in bed early and read stories to my girls because there is not much more I can do. But today I feel much better and no dizziness! It's amazing what a difference the stock has made. So that will be my strategy from now on. Thanks to the milk farmer!

I do have another potential problem. I am low on milk and yogurt and out of kefir. I probably have a total of 6 quarts of sustenance left. And I most likely won't get my milk until Sunday evening. So we shall see how that all pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment